Not much is known about our founding fathers, but this much is certain that it began with a vision - a vision for children who, irrespective of language, creed or colour would grow up in an institution devoid of racial prejudices, would be able to express themselves fearlessly and be taught by teachers totally committed to the cause of sound, all-round, value based education.
St. James' School was established in 1864. It was inaugurated by the then Most Revd. George Edward Cotton- the Bishop of Calcutta on 25th July 1864. Almost from its inception, reports show that these were years of stress and struggle. In the first twenty years of its existence the school faced intensive financial difficulties and had to be closed in December 1904. According to reports, there was an upsurge of sentiment on the part of parents, well wishers and old boys at the closure of the school. In 1907, with financial assistance from the Church Education League, the school was reopened.
The Rev. Cashmore Inter-School Debate will be held on the 24th and 28th of April in school grounds.
The St. James' School Model United Nations Conference 2015 (Jaco MUN '15) will be held from the 16th to the 18th of April, 2015.
The Bishop Lakdasa deMel Memorial Inter-School Basketball Tournament will be held on the 8th, 9th and 10th of April on school grounds, as part of the Sesquicentenary Celebrations